Another Wednesday Web Tip September 19, 2012
Welcome new subscribers! I send a quick Web Tip to you on the first Wednesday of each month, or whenever I have a tip to share! The tip will be short, important to know and easy to implement.
Search Engine Optimization Tip - The Title Tag
The title tag is one of the most important factors in Search Engine Optimization.
Simply put, the title tag is a small amount of HTML code that creates the words that appear in the top bar of your web browser. All search engines give substantial weight to these tags when they gather information about your website.
The words you place in the title tag also appear in the clickable link on the search engine results page.
How do you write a title tag?
You should compose a keyword-rich title tag. Think of the main words and phrases that best reflect your business. Also, think of what keywords and phrases people might use to find your product or service with a search engine. Then compose the text around them.
- Put the most important keywords at the beginning of your title text.
- Page titles will show only a maximum of 60 to 90 characters (7-10 words).
- Don't waste precious space with "stop" words like the, of, and, or welcome to.
- It is ok to use your company name in the title. This helps people who already know your company seek it out by name. Remember to also add a good descriptive phrase or two!
- Today's search engines are not case- sensitive; so I generally like to use initial caps in the title because it looks the cleanest. Don't use ALL CAPS because it looks "spammy."
As you can see, it is important to use, and not too difficult to write, an effective title that will help you bring people to your web site and to your business!
Annette Riley Web Design